Friday 10 June 2011

Brazil #2 - Called and Equipped to Serve



After our wonderful few days in Caldas Novas, it was time for the BMS retreat, in a hotel near Brasilia. It was a great opportunity to meet with the other mission workers in Latin America, and a delight to listen to our speakers David and Doris Doonan, who first came to Brazil with BMS in 1963 and shared their wealth of experience. The theme of the retreat was 'Called and Equipped to Serve' and David shared how God equips us for the things that he has called us to. However, I shared that I often feel the opposite in Peru; instead of feeling equipped to serve, I feel completely stripped down and vulnerable. Back in the UK, I loved writing, speaking and leading groups - heavily relying on language. Here, I am and will be involved in lessons and groups, but with a new, unfamiliar language that I continue to struggle with. It is a difficult experience, but I know that in this process, God is preparing me and equipping me. It is easy to say these things and harder to live through!

While the grown-ups were being called and equipped, the children were having a great time thinking about creation care and riding on buffaloes. Both Sophia and Daniel had a great time with other missionary kids.


We also ate lots and lots of delicious food, relaxed, chatted and played on the fantastic play ground. Neil and I also had the opportunity to visit Brasilia, a purpose-built capital city with some fantastic architecture, including Dom Bosca, a stunning church.

I felt awe-struck by a number of the missionaries who have served faithfully for so many years. It was also great to meet with the whole Peru team for the first time, including our friends James and Julia who are about to start language training in Arequipa. All in all, it was a great time away, and a good space to reflect before the next stage of our life and work here in Cusco.

No comments:

Post a Comment