Monday 8 August 2011

El Campamento

What a week it has been! With a mixture of holiday club, the church anniversary and having James and Julia to stay, the youth camp feels like a very long time ago. Over the years, I have been to a fair few residentials, but this was my first experience in Peru. Without knowing what to expect, I may have over-packed. As I turned up, one of the young people murmured that I was a gringa, as we compared the size of our bags.



The camp wasn't really a camp at all, but was based at a school in Pisac, in the Sacred Valley near Cusco. It was all very civilised with bunk beds, showers and flushing toilets. I am not knocking Carroty Wood, which has a special place in my heart, but the views in Pisac were more spectacular than the Kent countryside, as beautiful as it is!



The camp itself was a mixture of games, meetings and training. The young people also had to choose a skill and spent the weekend preparing for an evangelistic event on the Saturday, and was a great opportunity to put new skills into action. There was lots of fun and an abundance of life. Although the theology and teaching was not completely my style, I loved the hearts of the young people and the leaders.

Most importantly, it was a great opportunity to spend time with the young people http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.giffrom the church. It is impossible to quantify how important it was just to be able to chat and hang around together. We had lots of fun, I had lots of opportunites to practice my Spanish and we got very, very muddy! It is a great foundation for the youth work, and I am praying that we can build on this in the weeks and months ahead.



Videos from the camp can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment