Friday 23 April 2010

Taking risks

WHile at Spring Harvest recently, the topic of taking risks came up. I had been thinking about how scared I was about the whole aspect of going to Peru, and also coming back to England with no job, no house and no school for the kids etc. I know I should take this one day at a time, but my mind does wander sometimes! Anyway, as I refelcted on my mixed feelings and how out of my depth I felt, it suddenly hit me that this is what taking risks is about! If I didn't feel uncomfortable, a bit scared and unsure, then it wouldn't be a risk! We aren't called to have it all sorted, but to simply trust God. A friend recently sent me this great quote from Richard Rohr, which was a great encouragement:

Nothing good or creative emerges from business as usual. Much of the work of God is to get people into liminal space and to keep them there long enough so they can learn something essential.

Also, over the Easter hols, we popped up to the International Mission Centre to sort out childcare for our time there. We visited a great nursery just across the road, but they didn't know if we could get both children in there. The next day, they phoned to say they could both be there for 5 mornings! This may seem like a little thing, but it was a big weight off our minds and a timely reminder that God has everything in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment